Monday, April 7, 2008

The Malaysia Identity Part 2

For a long time, I have been branded and called Malaysian Chinese. Why? Because that my grandfather came from China and my father is Malaysian Chinese and by decree I am a Malaysian Chinese. Indeed, I wonder why this label have to be put my head? Let's do some analysis.

My grandfather came to Malaya to find a living as most of the "Shin Keh" (New Guests). Most of them have one purpose in mind: to earn a living and then go back to their motherland China for a more comfortable living. So for a long time, they toil their back to earn a living, and living as a "guest" in Malaya. But as time goes, most of them stayed. Some of them settle down and build their new house here. Later after some time, their house become their home. Their children are born into this world into the same land that I was born. Unknown to this "new guests", they are no more "guest" but became a partner in this household called Malaysia.

Until now, I still see a lot of "guest" mentality among the descendant of this "new guests". "We are Malaysia Chinese!" so they called themselves. Well, if you want to be a "guest", then you will always be treated as guest. "We have traditional cloth, lion dance etc etc"; ok you have that, but please remember that once your ancestor decide to build a "home" here in Malaysia, it become part of our (Malaysian) culture. "We speak Hokkien, Cantonese, Chinese!"; ok, so do a lot of African nation that speaks French, South American that speask Spanish, Portugese, but do they call themselves French or Spanish? If you're in Africa and you call a Nigerian a French, you'll be glad that he/she is not a headhunter (literally).

So what's wrong with these "Malaysian Chinese" people? Do they think themselves are still a "guest" in Malaysia? If they still really do think themselves as "Chinese" I think they should just go back to China, where people are "really Chinese" in the land of spits. At one time, I had a Singaporean(Chinese) asking me about my roots because of my limited Chinese vocabulary. Well, I ask him to think of his root! Singapore's national anthem is in what language and how much he knows about his national anthem? He went silence. If he is so proud that he is a Chinese, then go back to China. Why want to stay in Singapore? I can proudly say that I know 100% of my national anthem and each and every words in Negaraku. I am proud that I have a king and have royalties. I am also proud that my country have so many inter-mixing cultures. I think our culture are unique in the world!

So stop labeling me a Malaysian Chinese. You can associate my ancestor to China and a Chinese, but for me that are born unto this beautiful land call Malaysia, call me Anak Malaysia. The association between me and "Chinese" is just that my ancestor came from China, and THAT'S IT! Since my parents are born in Malaysia, and my father grew up and toil this land together with other Malaysian, and even die in his heartland Bukit Mertajam, Penang; why still label me as Malaysian Chinese? Is is that my name has 3 syllabus and thus you label me as Chinese? Tell me please, what is the different between you and me beside skin colors and religion wise? We are born in this land and perhaps one day we will also be buried 6 feet under in this land of ours, like my father, and his father.

So please call me Anak Malaysia (Malaysian).

No comments: